Sources of firearms used in crime committed in Canada

Facts and resources about gun laws and gun crime.
User avatar
Canada Gun Club
Site Admin
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Sources of firearms used in crime committed in Canada

Postby Canada Gun Club » Fri May 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Detailed data on the sources of crime guns in Canada is not publicly available from federal agencies. Anti-gun proponents push the narrative that criminals source their illegal guns through theft from licenced firearm owners. They push this false narrative to support their argument that firearms should not be stored or located in residential locations.

Evidence from media reports and quotes of law enforcement officials to media often suggest a much different picture. Many firearms recovered from crime scenes and seized by law enforcement are those classified as prohibited in Canada and must have been sourced through smuggling. Gun magazines seized by police from criminals usually show no signs of ever having been modified to meet Canadian magazine capacity restrictions and must have been sourced through smuggling.

Evidence suggests that the bulk of illegal firearms used by criminals in Canada are sourced through smuggling operations opposed to theft from licenced Canadian firearms owners.

RCMP: "In Canada, the illicit firearms market is supplied primarily by smuggled firearms"
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ce-da/firearms-armes-eng.htm

NWEST (National Weapons Enforcement Support Team): "94% of the firearms seized in Vancouver in 2002 originated in Washington State"
https://web.archive.org/web/20170214204723/http://mediareleases.vpd.ca/2004/02/25/nwest/

Inspector in charge of the Vancouver Police Department's drug and gang-crime units Dean Robinson: "police trace a majority of illegal guns to Washington State".



Hamilton Police Chief Eric Girt: "The bulk of the guns that make their way into this community in Hamilton are largely from Ohio"



CSSA: "A government study indicated that 70% of all handguns linked to criminal incidents are not registered in Canada, and there is no evidence that the remaining 30% are used for criminal purposes by their legitimate owners. The majority of illegal handguns are smuggled into Canada from the United States."
https://cssa-cila.org/rights/ten-myths-about-gun-control/


Green Party of Canada: "The problem with handguns is due mostly to illegal handguns smuggled from the USA."
https://www.greenparty.ca/en/policy/vision-green/people/justice/guns



User avatar
Canada Gun Club
Site Admin
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Sources of firearms used in crime

Postby Canada Gun Club » Fri May 12, 2017 8:44 pm

"Illegal entry at the border: the male suspect had in his possession a bag containing 24 handguns of various calibers"

User avatar
Canada Gun Club
Site Admin
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:20 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

LA Times - 98% of crime guns in Canada originate in the U.S.

Postby Canada Gun Club » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 pm

70% of the crime guns recovered and traced in Mexico, and 98% of crime guns in Canada originate in the U.S.



Return to “Firearms Related Statistics and Facts”